Sunday, November 15, 2009

Citizenship


"Young men and women of the city, when coming of age, participate in a ceremony which involves the swearing of oath, and the sharing of bread, fire and salt. In this ceremony the Home Stone of the city is held by each young person and kissed. Only then are the laurel wreath and the mantle of citizenship conferred. This is a moment no young person of Ar forgets. The youth of Earth have no Home Stone. Citizenship, interestingly, in most Gorean cities is conferred only upon the coming of age, and only after certain examinations are passed. Further, the youth of Gor, in most cities, must be vouched for by citizens of the city, not related in blood to him, and be questioned before a committee of citizens, intent upon determining his worthiness or lack thereof to take the Home Stone of the city as his own.


Citizenship in most Gorean communities is not something accrued in virtue of the accident of birth but earned in virtue of intent and application. The sharing of a Home Stone is no light thing in a Gorean city."


Slave Girl of Gor, page 394


The issue of citizenship is something that is often overlooked when discussing the Gorean lifestyle and the philosophies that anchor it. While honor and natural order immediately spring to the lips when asked to define the Gorean lifestyle, rarely does one speak of the priveledge and responsibilities of citizenship. In reading (and re-reading) the books, it becomes apparent that while this is something that Norman's Gorean people accepted as a part of Gorean life, it is something we often forget.


There are two points brought out in this one quote. The first is that for free men and women, citizenship was not an "entitlement" as it is in our society today. It was something that was earned. Only after examinations were passed and the youth was questioned and vouched for, was he or she deemed a citizen of that city.


The second point is that with the priveledge of citizenship and all the rights implied, came a responsibility. An obligation to be a productive member of that society. Throughout the book, I read a strong sense of duty on the part of each free person, male or female, an obligation to carry their own weight in exchange for the right to be regarded as a citizen of that city. This was accomplished by each working within their caste.


I think Citizenship is one of the most essential tenets of the Gorean lifestyle. It is also one that is often misunderstood by newcomers. Having read the books or a website or two does not guarantee automatic acceptance. It is not enough to step up and proclaim, "I am Gorean!" One must prove it. Prove that their intent is honest and sincere. Prove that they are what they say they are. Until a Gorean is sure of a stranger's intent, he will be treated with a degree of caution. While not necessarily rude, we tend to hold strangers at arm's length until we have formed an opinion as to their sincerity. Our trust, as with anything worth earning, is hard won.


However, once a person has been accepted into the Gorean community, I believe he has a duty to contribute in some positive way. Just as we have a civic duty to the local community in which we live, we also have a duty to the Gorean community. Those of us who call ourselves Goreans have an obligation to protect and promote the truths around which we center our lives. I know that for myself, I had been exposed to Gor for almost a year before I truly believed I had earned the right to call myself a Gorean woman. With that right, came an almost overwhelming sense of duty to "give back" to the teachings around which I structure my life. Gor is my anchor. It affects every area of my life from my interactions with friends and employees to the way I relate to my family. Because of this, my need to somehow "repay" that debt is also a constant.


I consider myself lucky to have discovered Gor at a time when the ratio of Goreans to Players was much higher than it is today. I learned the tenets of this lifestyle from those who live it day to day. I had the priveledge of being one of a very few new ones in a group of Goreans who were gracious enough to answer my countless questions and teach my by their example. The debt I owe them is immeasurable. And it is one I strive each day to repay, through my writings and the time I spend answering questions and guiding those who are new to the places where they will learn the truths. This is not a job, nor is it something I do expecting any sort of repayment. It is my responsibility as a citizen of this community.


Originally published in the August, 2000 issue of The Gorean Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment